Monday, 15 March 2010
Cardinal Seán Brady has reiterated his determination not to resign in the wake of new information about the way in which he dealt with paedophile priest Brendan Smyth.
In an interview with RTÉ News this morning, Dr Brady said it was not a resigning matter and he rejected the suggestion that his silence had allowed Fr Smyth to continue to sexually assault children for a further two decades.
He also said he heard calls for him to stay on and deal with the matter of abuse.
He was responding to calls for his resignation from victims of clerical child abuse.
Clerical child abuse victim Marie Collins said the Cardinal should resign because he had lost all moral authority or credibility.
Colm O'Gorman has said Cardinal Brady rose through the ranks in the Catholic Church while Smyth continued to rape and abuse children.
Andrew Madden said Dr Brady was not just responsible for taking notes at the meetings.
Also on Morning Ireland, Fr Kevin Hegarty, the first priest to publicly challenge the bishops' handling of clerical sexual abuse, said Cardinal Brady should reflect on his position.
At the weekend, Dr Brady confirmed that he was present in 1975 when two young victims of the late Fr Brendan Smyth were asked to sign an oath of secrecy.
The Cardinal - then a part-time secretary to the then Bishop of Kilmore, the late Francis McKiernan - took notes during two meetings with children who he believed had been abused by Smyth.
The senior churchman said his actions in 1975 had been part of a process that removed the shamed cleric's licence to act as a priest. He maintained Smyth's Norbertine Order was otherwise responsible for him.
Fr Brendan Smyth later admitted a litany of sex attacks on about 90 children over a 40-year period and was sent to prison - where he died in 1997.
Yesterday, Cardinal Brady rejected claims that he had failed to act and said he was not the designated person responsible for contacting the relevant statutory authorities.